Re: [CBQ] Re: Rockfalls Wayfreight

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Rockfalls Wayfreight
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 22:21:29 EDT
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1239934951; bh=JvEL3FqE/IPy8K5EzwlDK8sGA2HLA2G6CY93ru1hXuQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:X-Mailer:X-Spam-Flag:X-AOL-IP:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=IVdl/OmC9mmZWVG8ZWd1MV+oAuvuz1Y0rz3o27f4q42fpE5/PR5leH7vf3cpnS/ETUl9KDM96KSQ9jla9lH8J2zC6ADM8BQE9yVkpaNzQt1k8jiewJ8yZ1h9z1cAItXC
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Andy,

It's been well documented in the BRHS articles and various books that the Q
 sold some of their cars directly to NWST&W. Also I believe some
locomotives  went there based on BRHS member John Schmids recollections of
working the
Rock  Falls w/f. I dont recall any BN cars in any trains I worked.
I often sat watching my oldest daughters basketball games w/Grandpa  Bensen
who lived on the SE side of Aurora,that was noted for many Q  employees
residences. He was a retired carpenter but when he came home  from WW II he
worked at NWST &W cutting up cars. He often told me about  cutting cars w/o any
safety gear and often catching his clothing on fire.He  recalled
specifically cutting C&NW box cars.
He was an avid railfan and donated much time to the Iowa museum  running
"streetcars".
I wonder if his estate is the recent commercial listing ?

Finally in case you missed it. Check the Q yahoogroups archive( a couple
years back)about pheasant along the Rock Falls branch.

Leo
**************Great deals on Dell’s most popular laptops – Starting at
$479
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220029082x1201385915/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B213969145%3B35701480%3Bh)