RE: [CBQ] Naperville crash - Labor groups

To: <cbq@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Naperville crash - Labor groups
From: Gerald & Virginia Edgar <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 20:33:14 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1238808799; bh=Nb+xSnFy8f9ygqZOgkxVvUEfdiz6OncBibTnAIELMHo=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:Message-ID:To:Importance:In-Reply-To:References:X-OriginalArrivalTime:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=O9e6HeTft6Y2VeN0p6B71XgXB72sxCQdSDc4aEkJQQDH/l+5Ot9WmleXE8UdmPgPEzIBud6F4fSzqtES1PLiRpTGs8J84jzguBto8bYhERIhoEh9CVIBqPJ6XS/+D0qo
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All Class I railroads were unionized with a multitude of 'Brotherhoods' (as
opposed to 'Unions" as in other American industries). These were so-called
'craft unions' organized by occupation (Electricians, Teamsters,etc) rather
than 'industrial unions' like Autoworkers, Rubberworkers, etc.

Porters, as Russ stated, belonged to the Pullman Porters Union; the founder, J.
Phillip Randolph, was the 1st African-American to be on the Board of Dir of the
combined AFL-CIO (AFL being craft unions & CIO being industrial unions).

Conductors had their own Brotherhood, ditto for Engineers, Brakemen, Switchmen,
Dining Car Emps, Yardmasters, Maintenance of Way Workers, etc.  They generally
organized by "Lodges" as opposed to 'Locals' like all other Unions as most had
Masonic founders including J. Phillip Randolph. In the good old days, being in
say the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers meant a formal initiation, a fancy
membership certificate & 'fraternal insurance' and other benefits for the RR'er
& his family. The "Lodge" had a meeting place (sometimes shared with other
Brotherhoods, a Labor Temple or at a Masonic Lodge Hall - the latter is where
my grandfather's Brotherhood of Carmen met in North LaCrosse.)  Local Lodge
charters were very colorful with many symbols of railroading, the particular
craft and attributes like Brotherhood, morality, aiding widows, etc.  By being
in a Brotherhood, a RR'er could move to other locations and have 'Brothers' who
would look out for him & his family.

I can list all the Brotherhoods the CB&Q (& any Class 1 RR) consisted of when I
get home this w/e.  Depending on the # of RR's in an area, a 'Lodge' might just
be CB&Q or Union Pacific or a mixture of RR's emps for a particular craft.
Dieselization led to 'compromises'.  I.E. The Brotherhood of Boilermakers, with
no boilers left, got to do the work on large steel diesel loco structural
components like frames (as I recall when I was with C&NW it was anything 3"
thicker or more).  Machinists, Sheetmetal Workers & Electricians got the rest
of the loco.  Dieselization also meant some mainstream Unions like IBEW (Int.
Brotherhood of Electrical Workers) got into RR'ing.

Today, due to RR mergers & fewer Emps, most Brotherhoods were merged out of
existence & some like BRAC (Airline & RR Clerks), UTU (United Transportation
Union made up of many of the operating Brotherhoods), etc are more industrial
type than craft type.

Gerald