Re: [CBQ] westbound sheep

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] westbound sheep
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 21:05:55 -0800 (PST)
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=lima; t=1235797600; bh=osPFkonLDchN8l0k/AjiuWZctOdbDzJQ7fXTs9QDJ1o=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-YMail-OSG:X-Received:X-Mailer:References:To:Message-ID:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Ly0O8luWYsZZwR1EJpop2c7dzH+sWs7uFU1aIIJLwCCRLAgj7fI0Sddw9ygVKKKU/FUlUoZjRXnf59fzCSUVbwQrhrxVYx2tlgchl8IME2kC1JwYQRbKsh1Pw7MO6hZG
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I only had to load a couple loads.  You think it is easy to unload.  Figure you
had to throw at least 8 or 10 often down the ramp from the upper deck inorder
to get them to start down.  We did not have a goat at Montgomery in the time I
worked there.  Any loads went to Chicago to the packing house.  Normally they
were fed and moved via truck.  Up until the length limits were taken off a
stock trailer would be pulled by a stub nosed tractor in order to have the
longest trailer possible for more loading.
We did have a couple loads of calves come in for feed, water and rest.  Then
headed east for interchange.  But most stock in the 67-69 era I work there was
trucked out to the farms.  It might be possible if close on the hours some
stock would be feed watered and rested then shipped west but not normally.
Stock was still moving in '73 when I was working at Aurora Tower second trick.
We had a train come in off the C&I and he was too long to fit and set them out
on the Sheep Yard Lead.  So I had him set them out on the east end of Depot 2
and the switch engine  came up from the Hole and shoved them right thru the
depot and down to the sheepyard.  ( It was always called the sheep yard even
though cattle went thru as well.  Never seen any hogs and never work with any
till after the Dispatchers office got moved to Galesburg.  But that is off
topic)
SJH