[CBQ] Re: Interchange to Soo line

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Interchange to Soo line
From: "steve_wintner" <steve_wintner@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 19:05:23 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Doug, Ted, Russ, Gerald, Rupert, thanks much for your replies.

I would be happy to have a simple years end summary, but hopefully
monthly summaries, of quantities of types of cars that were
interchanged. I have a limited patience for sorting through dusty
records - and being currently overseas must work remotely.

Ideally additionally car numbers, origins and destinations, but that
would be icing on the cake. Specific dates or train numbers is uneeded
detail.

>From types of traffic, though, I can get close - e.g. Grain in 1948
equals boxcars, as does paper.

As I say, late 40s is what interests me, but if enough data can be
found a sampling of several different years would be of interest.

Thanks again, have fun
Steve

--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Harding" <dharding@...> wrote:

> Steve the Railroads, and Government agencies overseeing railroads,
kept all kinds of statistical records on this very subject. How
> much time do you wish to spend digging through dusty tombs in the
back shelves of certain research libraries? But unless you find
> someone who has already done that, you will need to do it yourself.
The information is out there, but not always very accessible.

> You might check with Jim Singer as he has done some similar type
research. But Jim is not on line, you will have to contact him
> some other way.
>
> Are you looking for how many cars were interchanged in a given year,
or a listing by day or week or a specific listing of the cars
> themselves? Because all this kind of information was kept in one
form or another. But not always was it saved. Nor is it easily
> available just for the asking.
>
> A while back Ted Richardson made available a CD with an extensive
spreadsheet showing each car interchanged between the MILW and
> the IC at, I believe, Davis Jct. ILL. This was based on records
someone saved from the trash bin in a depot. And I have copies of
> what are called "Station Car Records" for two small towns on the
M&StL in Iowa, which show every car that was received or shipped
> over a 20+ year period, the mid 40's into the 60's. It is
fascinating stuff, when you can find it.