[CBQ] Friction Bearing Hot Box

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Friction Bearing Hot Box
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 18:51:16 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for all the responses!

Yes you could smell them. And even on a stopped train before they  went to
flame stage you could see them. Well at least this time.

Here's the rest of the story. On winter night in the mid 70s I was working
on a two round trip night dinky. At our arrival back at Aurora on the 1st round
 trip I went into the crew callers office to check the assignment board and
catch  up on gossip before we started back to Chicago. On heading back to our
train  resting on main 3; I noticed the Fox River wayfreight sitting on main
two held  for our departure and then it would follow us up to Eola. As I walked
down the  platform between 2 and 3 between the two trains I caught the scent
of that  unmistakable aroma of a friction bearing hot box. I knew we didn't
have any on  the dinky so looking over the nearby cars on the "Fox" I quickly
found a glowing  red hot journal shining right thru the journal box cover.
Actually the whole box  and sideframe were nice and red.
I turned and walked back up to the SD units and climbed into  the lead cab,
advised Geeno he had a hot one 6 cars back. He  radioed Leroy in the w/c and
Socko in the 2nd unit. We'll leave the  placement of the characters to another
discussion.
As we left town they were planning strategy on what to do with the  good old
Q sand hopper.
In their defense the journal wasn't burning,just red hot. So either it had
already burned up the oil and pad or there was little or none to begin with.
On the other hand maybe it was the dense foliage along the Fox  branch R-O-W .

Leo Phillipp