[CBQ] Re: steam loco warabouts

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: steam loco warabouts
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 02:54:53 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I don't recall any Burlington steam at the Museum of Science and
Industry - just the Zephyr. I do remember the big Santa Fe northern.
Since the museum was in our neighborhood,(*) a few of us walked down
there on the day that engine was brought in. IIRC, they had something
like a piece of 12-inches-to-the-foot snap track, which they kept
re-laying in front of the dead engine as they maneuvered it up the
streets - a SLOW process. I have pictures somewhere.
Jonathan

(*) "our neighborhood," loosely speaking. You have to understand we
were accustomed to walking much longer distances in that era - 4-5
miles through the snow to school each day during winter months. And of
course the snow was much deeper before global warming. And then there
were the wolves, always lurking and looking out for disoriented school
kids (now, mercifully, they're extinct). Needless to say, there's no
point in telling these stories to young people; they just laugh.