Re: [CBQ] Columbus, Nebraska and the cattle pens

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Columbus, Nebraska and the cattle pens
From: STEVEN HOLDING <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 07:49:59 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Larry
Burlington Bulletin No.25 on Stock Cars and the Livestock Traffic shows two
pens with a 10 car capacity
As to shipping it would depend on the type of cattle raising in the area.  Also
the time frame.  I would suggest in the late '50s feeder calves would move in
the fall(6-12 month old) for finishing on the corn fields of the Corn Belt.
Often the pens were only removed when they started to tumble down or the
railroad could reuse or get someone else to lease the land.  Often old
buildings were sold for salvage.
I worked at the Montgomery Sheep Yards for the Q while in High School in '67-68
and unloaded both sheep and cattle. Montgomery was a big sheep operation as the
sheep would come in and be finished for slaughter in Chicago(movement to
Chicago via truck)
Most cattle came in were weighed and fed and trucked out to the farm right
away. Some for either Wertheimer Cattle Co. or Henry Steele would be around for
a couple weeks till someone bought them.  Both companies were commission buyers.
While working at Aurora Tower in the fall of '73, I had a train with cattle
that was too long to fit between Terry Ave and Hurd's Island so I had them set
the stock on a depot track for the depot engine(used to switch the dinkies)
could just shove right down to the stock yards
Steve