[CBQ] Beardstown roundhouses 1938

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Beardstown roundhouses 1938
From: Stan Maddox <stan.maddox@burlingtongulf.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 00:26:36 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I recently found July 6, 1938 aerial photos of Beardstown IL, on the
Illinois Natural Resources Geospatial Data Clearinghouse at http://
www.isgs.uiuc.edu/nsdihome/webdocs/ilhap/

The image reveals a host of interesting information. For example, I
had no idea that the main line had been relocated. (Boy, am I glad I
found that out before I modeled it on my layout!) I also was quite
surprised to see that there were two roundhouses at that time, right
next to each other, the larger one almost a complete circle. Can
anyone shed additional light on these structures, such as what types
of locomotives where serviced in each, etc? Also, does anyone have
additional photos or drawings of either roundhouse or any of the
other engine servicing structures, while they were in use?

The one downside to this otherwise wonderful service is that when you
right-click to save the image, it only retains what is viewable in
your browser window. I will be contacting the Illinois State Library
to obtain an uncompressed copy of the entire image for my modeling
research. In the mean time, I used Photoshop to painstakingly rebuild
the entire aerial image into one large yet seamless image. It's
easier to use, but it's big. It is over 105 MB, far too large to post
to the group area. If anyone is interested in a copy for their
personal non-commercial use, please contact me off list and I'll be
happy to share.

Best regards,
Stan Maddox
www.burlingtongulf.com