Re: [CBQ] N-scale shovelnoses

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] N-scale shovelnoses
From: Stephen Levine <sjl_prodigynet@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:36:59 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I believe the reason why the E5 was not built as a shovel nose was because, by
late 30's, Burlington was getting a lot of unpleasant experience with the lack
of protection the units offered the Engineer and Fireman in a collision.  In
fact, I believe that, about that time, the Unions got a contract clause with
the Q not to order any more shovel noses, and, I also read somewhere that that
clause prevented the railroad from even considering purchasing RDC's

  Someone correct me if I am wrong about this.

  sjl

Randy Gordon-Gilmore <zephyr9900@comcast.net> wrote:
          At 10:11 PM 8/26/2008 +0000, Jerry wrote:

>The E5s I know were E-units pattered earlier E3 and E4 locomotives and
were not shovel nose.

Jerry, I'm talking about Burlington's original specified (but never built)
design for the E5, shown in the centerspread (appropriately enough for
shovelnose nuts like me...) in Zephyr #30.

Best regards,

Randy

--