Re: [CBQ] C&I: the cut at Oregon, IL

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] C&I: the cut at Oregon, IL
From: Jerry Stauffer <milw265@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 20:32:44 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Pete ,

I had notices a Hulcher lowboy truck in Oregon east of the depot over a week
ago and wondered what was going on. A day or two later I decided to drive out
Burlington Rd at that cut to do a little fanning andwas shocked to find the
excavating equipment there and all of the trees that had been cleared and earth
and rock removed.  Today I was in Oregon, I live in Mt. Morris just 4 miles up
the branch, and decided I should check and see if they were working up there.
On the new ugly concrete bridge sat a BNSF truck with a maintainer and the
Hulcher Super... We chatted for about 20 minutes and I was told they were
widening/clearing to improve drainage thru the cut. This has always been a wet
area.  He also added that the RR may also eventually extend the hill siding
west to Stratford which would give them 7-8 miles of double track like
Rochelle.  But he did say the main purpose of this part of the work was for
drainage purposes.  So one of my favorate
 places for photos has been ruined. Maybe in a couple years after the area
heals it will look better but it will never be the same thats for sure.

Jerry Stauffer