[CBQ] Re: Q Horns

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Q Horns
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 20:27:32 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

Over the years, EMD used several horns as the "basic" on the
different locomotive models. In the early years up into the early
1950s, single chime horns were the "basic" specification. On switcher
model locomotives, it never changed, but the brand of manufacture may
not have always been the same. In later years, road model locomotives
had multi chime horns as "basic", usually three chimes. However, horn
technology did not stand still and the horn manufacturers were, like
other companies, developing new products, sometimes for specific RRs.
In most cases, the horns on new road locomotives after about 1950,
were specific as an option by the customer. Some roads, like SP,
specified option horns even on switcher model locomotives. In
general, a given RR had "favorite" suppliers for certain options.
Horns were no exception.

Unfortunately, I don't have a Q locomotive specification available.
The order spec would show the original horn model and manufacturer
for a specific group of locomotives. If the pricing sheet were
included, it would even show the option net price (the customer
received a credit for deduction of the basic horn, already built into
the base price, and new price for the optional application). If
addition work was required to make the new application, then an added
application charge would also be included. (For instance, the the cab
roof was the normal location for most horn applications, but Union
Pacific, at one time, specified their horns to be mounted over the
cooling fans to keep them warm and ice free in the winter.
Considerable extra piping was required to make that application and
was included in the option pricing.

While I am not knowledgeable enough to know what  horn Q preferred, I
suspect that they specified the same horn model for a number of
years. Remember that locomotive decisions, including the options,
were made by one or more departments on the RR. Optional equipment
decisions were almost always made by the Mechanical Dept. Individuals
in those departments, were often there for many years and had a long
period of influence. Robert Taylor, for instances, began his career
with the RR in the Mechanical Dept. in the late 1940s or early 1950s
and last well into the BN era, retiring about 1985 as assistant V.P.
Mechanical. The point being that many decisions on optional equipment
were the choice of specific individuals based on how well the product
met the requirement and which supplier worked the hardest to satisfy
the RR's and their representative's needs. Suppliers spent life times
working to develop relations with specific departments and specific
individuals. The RR wasn't buying horns all the time, but when the
time came, they wanted to know the RR people knew where to turn.
Almost every horn would meet the required federal or RR specs, but
beyond that, it was simply maintenance and personal choice.

I believe in the steam days, Q liked Nathan whistles. Maybe that
carried on to diesels. When I grew up on the Q, switchers and low
h.p. road units like GP7s had single chime horns which I think were
the basic applications. F units also had single chime horns, but
later units, maybe starting with the SD24s, had multi chime horns.
Over a specific period of time, the horns were probably limited to a
couple of models.

Bill Barber