Re: [CBQ] EB and NCL cars on the Q

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] EB and NCL cars on the Q
From: Deke Reiter <deke8706@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 18:00:46 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Tom said:
I am finally getting my EB on my Q layout and ran across an old post
of the 1967-69 consists.

Me:
I am also in that situation (modeling 1968-1975ish), and have been keeping tabs
on the EB disscussion on the GN list :)

Tom:
1. Neither consist shows an observation car from Chicago. But it
doesn't show an ob from St. Paul either. Did GN stop running obs on
the EB, and if so when?

Me:
GN dropped obs cars on the Builder for the "off season" around '65 I believe. I
know they dropped them all together in '67 or '68.

Tom:
2. The consist mentions a Storage Mail car. Walthers did not make tis
for the EB. Is there a good stand-in for the EB/GN Storage Mail cars?
Would they have been lettered GN or EB?

Me:
Walthers made a GN baggage car, which I think GN used for storage mail also.
The only problem is that Walthers chose an ex-CGW car that GN had very few of
(6?) so they often used other baggage cars. I do not know of a stand in off the
top of my head. However, I thought that the mail contract for Chicago-MPLS was
on the MILW and the TCZ/EB/NCL ran with a Q baggage, and Q coach in place of
the RPOs.

Tom:
3. The author of the post (Michael Farley of Fargo, ND) says that the
EB Dome Coaches are correct for the NP NCL. Is this true? If so, maybe
we can get Walthers to run them in NP NCL paint.

Me:
They are close, but there are a few differences. Word is that there will be an
NCL coming up soon, possibly after the 20th Century Limited.

-Dereck
206612.tripod.com
IANR's company photographer