[CBQ] Re: Car Bodies

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Car Bodies
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 17:28:00 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Actually, the carbody at Downers Grove was a Coach no. 5576, built by
Pullman in June, 1892 according to Bill Glick's "Burlington Passenger
Car Roster" book, p. 80. The car was probably placed there in 1931
when the under carriage portion of the car was scrapped. In later
years, it was used by track and signal dept. employees. Prior to 1952
and after the roundhouse was torn down, it probably serviced as the
crew office when Downers still had an active suburban yard. At that
time, the turntable, water tower and water column were near by. When
I was a kid, I remember walking past the carbody frequently on my way
to and from town.

Bill Barber