[CBQ] Re:Trap Cars for freight houses

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:Trap Cars for freight houses
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 19:24:49 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo and Others:

I believe that you are correct. Some years ago, I interviewed a
gentleman who spent many years with the CB&Q including agent at the
Naperville Freight House and elsewhere. He wrapped up his career as
manager of House 10 on 22nd Street. Without pulling my notes, one
example that I recall is the trap car(s) that were assigned to the
furniture company in Naperville. (As you can tell, at the moment I do
not recall its name, but for this example, it is unimportant.)

Each day, crated furniture would be delivered to the Naperville house
and loaded into car(s) of older CB&Q heritage. These cars would be
taken to Hawthorne Yard and set over at the freight house located in
the middle of the yard, where the contents were unloaded, and
reloaded into cars with various destinations. In some cases, these
cars would be moved to other freight houses, where the load would be
divided for additional distribution. The reason the Hawth. F.H. was
located away from roads was to reduce pilferage. The car(s) would
then be returned to Naperville. Hence the term 'trap'. BTW, the same
car may not be cycled, but an equivalent car.

Regards,

Ed DeRouin