Re: [CBQ] Nifa/Geneva Branch-Datsun

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Nifa/Geneva Branch-Datsun
From: Dan Grobe <dlgrobe@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:43:02 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks for the info Leo. The NIFA is down to 1 industry that is still using
rail and that is the TYCO Plastic plant at the end of the line. The lumber yard
on the old Barber Greene grounds is closed until the housing market turns.

  Dan

3. Nifa/Geneva Branch-Datsun
Posted by: "qutlx1@aol.com" qutlx1@aol.com leophillipp
Date: Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:41 am ((PDT))

The photo of auto racks full of Datsuns at NIFA may well be from 1972.
Having worked the "Irish Mail" starting in 1973 and also living on the branch
during 1976-78 it is my recollection that the business was there only during
those two years. I believe this was overflow that at that time couldn't be
handled at the Naperville/Nabisco site. This may also have been at the time the
facility Naperville site was being expanded.

These were some of the hottest cars on the system at that time. We used to
stop and pick up long strings of mtys at Eola on #85 since it was a hot shot
back to the west coast. At times if things were running a bit off
schedule(imagine that) we would set out loads of autos at Nabisco. I even
recall one trip
where we came out w/c lite from Clyde,tacked the w/c on the west end of a
string of auto racks at Nabisco and took them back to Clyde to be added to #85
so it would nt have to stop at Eola. Also recall #97 being stopped to grab
mtys at Eola.

Today the auto facility site is occupied by car dealerships along Aurora
Ave.

Leo Phillipp