Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Question

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Texas Zephyr Question
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 16:52:38 -0800 (PST)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I remember the observation car is the Silver Streak from the 9907 Denver Zephyr
trainset.

  The "diner", I believe, is a dinette coach and is from the 9906 DZ trainset.
So is the "baggage" car, which I believe is the former power-mail car Silver
Courier (I am doing the name from memory).

  Missing because they were scrapped were the 9907 sleepers and the 9906
diner-coach-coach articulated set.  I remember seeing one car of the trainset
cut down to the undercarriage, sitting with the rest of the set in the
scrapyard under Speer Blvd in Denver.  When one of the nameboards from the
Silver Streak appeared in the Cherry Creek Cinema behind the refreshment stand
during the showing of the Gene Wilder comedy, Silver Streak, I thought the rest
of the trainset had been cut up, and was quite depressed.  It is nice to know
three of the cars still remain in the US, but they need to be rescued from Hill
City.

  (I consider the trainset sent to Saudi Arabia gone forever from us, which is
sad.   My first train trip at age 3 months of age was on either the 9906 set or
the 9907 set, running as the Denver Zephyr.  I have always considered those
trains the DZ.)

  sjl

          Does anyone here know the name and numbers of the 3 Texas Zephyr cars
that reside in
Hill City, SD? I know one is an observation, one is a diner and the third is a
baggage. I wish
to attempt to make models of these.

Thanks all

Kelly