[CBQ] Re: Kansas City shop capabilities

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Kansas City shop capabilities
From: William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 11:35:54 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mark,

The only Kansas City shop area that I am familiar with was and is
located in Murray Yard in North Kansas City, MO., not Kansas. In BN
days, the facility was rather limited until EMD rebuilt the shop for
more extensive work on Oakway SD60 locomotives. However, I don't know
when that building was originally  erected in Murray yard or whether
it was before or after the merger. I seem to recall that the Q had a
more extensive shop facility in NKC, at least in steam and early
diesel days. Whether those facilities existed in the late '60s, I am
not sure. What was there on the BN before the early 1990's, probably
couldn't paint and modify cars, or locomotives, for that matter. If I
am correct about a more extensive Q facility, they probably had the
ability to do such modifications. NKC, after all, was a major
terminal then as it is now.

Bill Barber