Re: [CBQ] Re: Exposition Flyer in N scale

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Exposition Flyer in N scale
From: Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:23:34 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Which leads us into the "which Bob are you" discussion.  As you know,
there are several Bob Webers / Webbers here and it has caused some
confusion.  Of course, they can't spell their last name correctly, so
we have to cut them some slack.  I think it was Ted who approached me
at one show and said "I didn't know you worked for the
Burlington!".  Neither did I - considering I wouldn't have been in
high school yet when the merger occurred and was still living in
California (though I had been taking the CZ yearly and for one year
lived in Riverside, IL with the Q tracks as our side yard - nothing
like laying on your bed and watching the parade of Zephyrs,
Commuters, Empire Builders and NCLs (among others) from the 3rd floor
(wish I could go back and thwack the younger me into taking photos)).

There are times when the web interface is the only one usable, and I
tend to forget the sig line.  Then again, thanks to Yahoo's new
formatting, it includes multiple "reply to" addresses as well (which
I sometime miss).

In any case, I will be going to Cocoa Beach next week, and will
discuss some of these issues regarding N scale with other
manufacturers.  I still think Tom would be willing to do so.  I think
that, as with most of us, there are times when the job and business
fluctuates, and timing becomes everything.  I know that he is
EXTREMELY busy right now with many projects, quite a few of which are
Q related.

Just as an aside here, I feel I should explain something too.  A lot
of the smaller manufacturers are extremely busy because they have
been contacted by one or two  historical societies and   much of
their production and time has been spent fulfilling these orders.  I
know that the B&ORRHS has been EXTREMELY active in this segment, with
several projects for resin freight car kits and special passenger
kits/runs.  These are considered to be extremely valuable to the
manufacturers because they have a targeted audience and typically the
full run is sold before they turn around.  The RGM&HS has sponsored a
run of Athearn's new Tunnel Motors (SD40T-2) - the iconic locomotive
for a modern Rio Grande - and that represented at least a 5 digit
investment (and 300 units).  So it's not just little manufacturers,
it's also people like Athearn.

And that's one reason I bring up the Expo - in any scale.  Here is a
perfect example of a bunch of cars that three railroads' fans can be
interested in.  Add to that the interest in the Walthers and
Branchline cars, it is a natural project.  And, in every case, these
cars can also be used for other trains.  In fact, the WP diners and
WP baggage cars saw service on the CB&Q on trains OTHER than the Expo
and Advanced Expo (due to equipment normalization).  So, I keep
trying to find out if there really is any interest.....

Bob Webber