[CBQ] Del Monte-Mendota

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Del Monte-Mendota
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 23:00:52 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Keep in mind that my comments are for the early BN days(70s) when I worked
Mendota yard and various w/fs that came and went from Mendota. But things were
probably little changed from the Q days.
Delmonte was a much smaller operation at Mendota than Rochelle with its
mutiple plants and tracks. As I recall the plant at Mendota had one track for
spotting cars for loading and one track for coal. We spotted insulated boxes
for
canned goods loading(peas,beans and corn). Much of the coal we pulled from
the  IC interchange and spotted at the plant. Other coal was in Q hoppers s/o
by
 mainline trains.
I dont recall for sure but suspect that new cans were shipped from the
DelMonte can plant at Rochelle to the Mendota plant. They went into 50 ft
double
boxcars.
In earlier times canned goods would have been loaded in reefers(for the
insulating factor).

Leo Phillipp