RE: [CBQ] Flexi-Van

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: RE: [CBQ] Flexi-Van
From: "Dave Lambert" <dave@dglambert.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:50:44 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
All,

The Super C equipment was both passenger-equipped and non-passenger equipped
although the motive power was all geared for passenger train speeds.

NYC passenger-equipped Flex-Van flats (normally with MFVX reporting marks)
were very common on ATSF M&E trains up to and including 1969. So, it's
difficult to predict accurately who the owner of the flat was given no clear
evidence. Basing ownership of the flat on the markings of the van is
extremely risky, however. The vans were almost immediately separated from
their owning railroad's flat car and were mixed as the first available van
was loaded on an outbound van.

Therefore, it was very common to see CB&Q vans on MFVX flat cars and NYC
vans on CB&Q flats. My sense is that the MILW and IC flats and vans stayed
pretty close to home although both of these railroad's flats were
passenger-equipped and could have been interchanged with the NYC and PRR.

Regards,

Dave Lambert

  _____