Re: [CBQ] Cars used by Farm Implement Builders

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Cars used by Farm Implement Builders
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Oct 2007 06:17:21 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Steve,

Any thoughts? Yes, there are. #72 came from Willis Yard.
The Quad Cities Mdse was #64 and by 1959 I don't think
it was still running. It terminated at Eola anyway.

Information from Trains Magazine is always suspect.

As best as I can tell #72 and #78 were run every day.

On some occasions the exact implement type on or in a
car is shown. I'll admit I often just take the easy way
and use "Implements" or "Machry".

I will agree that there was a lot of this stuff shipped
in box cars but without waybills it's difficult to tell
exactly what.

At this particular point in time the trains were kept
small. Extra East's were run a couple of times a day.

Sticking my neck out quite a ways here is a thought I've
had many time while transcribing these consists:
At least in 1959 the trains that were supposed to keep
on a schedule were made up in the same manner as they had
been since the 40's. Trains like LC, LW68, CB68 were
seldom given more tonnage than an O5 could easily handle.

We all know that did change and within five or six years
the CB&Q became known for running big trains.

Russ