[CBQ] Re: Implement/tractor plant waybill info.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Implement/tractor plant waybill info.
From: richard haave <therrboomer@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:38:11 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Posted by: "William Ewinger" b_ewinger@yahoo.com   b_ewinger   Wed Sep 26, 2007
4:52 pm (PST)   dave the bridge you mention in ottumwa is or was the walbash as
that is how they got into ottumwa from moulton were the branch off the line
going to des moines
bill ewinger
burlington iowa

  The John Deere plant was less than a mile south of the river IIRC in Ottumwa.
The Wabash and Milw had a joint yard between the Burlington main and the river
just east of depot. After the Wabash abandoned their line the Milw switched the
plant. Around the time the Soo took over all the joint Wab-Milw became a real
short line, I think the name was the "Ottumwa Connecting", they had an ex BN
NW2 for power. According to my sources J Deere quit shipping by rail about one
week after the short line started up, except for a few cars of scrap. By early
1988 the NW2 had a frozen axle, sat on the "Main" by Deere Plant and short line
was done. I'm pretty sure all the trackage is gone now, unsure about Des Moines
River bridge. NW2 was probably scrapped on the spot.