Re: [CBQ] Mechanical Inspections

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Mechanical Inspections
From: "Russ Strodtz" <borneo@19main.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 08:37:25 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Leo,

BNSF already has a lot of the new detectors in service.
For example on the St Croix Sub there is a normal heat
and drag detector at MP 344. That would be within sight
of my previous residence. It's output is transmitted to
crew by radio. Then, going Eastward, there is a wheel
detector at MP 337. That output only goes to the
Mechanical Desk here in Fort Worth.

Protocol is as follows: Intermodal trains can just go,
not closely monitored. All other the Dispatcher informs
the Yardmaster when the train crew says they have gone
over the "Thumper". Yardmaster contacts Mechanical Desk,
(this is all done with instant messaging), and informs
the Dispatcher when he gets an "OK" on the train. The
Dispatcher can not line the train on to the CTC at
Winona Jct until he has been so informed.

Why go through the Yardmaster when that person is really
not involved? That had something to do with the Dispatchers
that were working that desk when the "Thumper" was installed.
I would rather do it myself but since I will never own a job
on that desk I just go with the flow.

Right now Electric Air is only on the Dock sets at Allouez.
They run 180-185 cars which works out to around 25,000 tons.
There was some kind of interpretation made when they set up
these sets that they needed three units for dynamic braking
requirements. I have noticed a few times that they only use
two so this might not be that big an issue.

I have seen a lot of crap on the web about how unsafe this
is. Makes no sense because you still have a perfectly good
26L valve available if you need it.

Yes, they are gradually upping the inspection interval to
1500 miles. As I have said interchange inspections are gone
and I can see the day when the mileage based ones will be
gone also.

I only hope this does not get extended to loaded coal trains.
With everyone stocking up on cars that are not structurally
sound these trains should get full inspections at every crew
change point or even more often.

"A fool and his money are easily parted."

Russ