Re: [CBQ] Signals

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Signals
From: <sholding@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2007 23:51:35 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Dave
You have to be more specific.  Where???
I would say the Q stayed in the forefront of signal technology.  They also
recycled everything.  Brand new signals would be put in on the high traffic
areas with the older stuff remodeled and put on the lines in a progression
downward in traffic lanes.  The signal maintainer at House 9 in Cicero use to
rewind relays and adjust them they were then swapped out with ones needing
attention from various field locations.
Take the Interlocking plant at Aurora. It was built with lower quad semaphores.
 Rebuilt with upper quad and later still with single color lights.  Other areas
went to tri-color lights in a triangle then to the single color lights. While
some had or have three lights in a vertical line.   Some areas had a lunar
signal along with the normal set because of the high traffic.  Even the color
of the semaphore blades changed over the years.
We had a signal out on Hurd's Island at Aurora where eastbound you could go
many routes.  It was called the "Christmas Tree" ((See Spoor's Vol. 4 P.86 Top
photo((( is back side )))  Top single light with lunar off to the side, and two
double lights below that.  The aspect depended on where the train or engine was
headed.
Park some bunk cars on a siding and say they were just installing signals.  Or
changing them out.
Or take the easy way out and keep it DARK  train order territory
SJH