[CBQ] Re: [modelling] Q SD45 detailing

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: [modelling] Q SD45 detailing
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 23:50:47 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mr. Belderok,

There is a frequently published photo of a number of the Q SD45s
taken at EMD's La Grange plant prior to delivery. It is an elevated
view the shows the tops of the locomotives. It that photo of the
brand new locomotives, the horn is, indeed, mounted on what appears
to be an upside down vee bracket located between the no. 1 and no. 2
cooling fans. Air piping probably reached that location inside the
cooling hatch as there is no visible external piping.

One source of the photo can be found on page #13 of Patrick Dorn's
book "Everywhere West The Burlington Route". I have seen the same
photo printed elsewhere. The horns may have been moved to another
location later, even by the Q, but that is the location "as built".
At the time, the locomotives were numbered in the 500 series. Nos.
520, 527 and 529 are clearly visible along with five other members of
the group.

Bill Barber