Re: Nebraska Zephyr (was Re: [CBQ] Re: E-5a Silver ? on display south o

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: Nebraska Zephyr (was Re: [CBQ] Re: E-5a Silver ? on display south of Dallas, TX?)
From: "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 09:10:41 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bob

  That is cool about the Aurora Shop.  They apparently rebuilt the front half
of the power car of the Pioneer Zephyr after a wreck with a steam engine so
that, other than some added batten strips below the windshield, it looked
exactly like the original.

  Unfortunately, the stainless steel dining car in the Naperville wreck, the
Silver Inn, was not so lucky.  It left the roster and its name was eventually
given to one of the 1952 diners.

  sjl

Bob Webber <rgz17@comcast.net> wrote:
          Just remember, at that time, Aurora had some of the best shop forces
in the country for Budd repair. They could literally rebuild a car
that would be totalled anywhere else (look at the diner in the
Naperville wreck).

The Aurora Shops, Burnham on the D&RGW and the SCL shops were the
three most qualified shops for working on Budd cars. When the 16
Section sleepers were converted, WP sent their cars to Burnham - of
course, that didn't require a lot of stainless steel work. But
Burnham DID add the diaphragms onto the ex-Chessie dome
coaches. Say what you will about the overall looks of the
conversions, but the price (less than $10K a car) and the job done
(if you looked at where the splice was made on the roof, you couldn't
see the seams), it was a gorgeous piece of work. And, the quality
was such that Autoliner (Bill Kratville) was able to take them off
and revert them to dome-obs without trouble.

So, in 1947 - or any time from 1937 through 1968 - if you needed
Budd repair done,Burlington could do it. The photos taken by the Q
for the complete teardown of the DZ is a perfect example of
that. They did it for (I think it was the) 3 million mile
overhaul. They stripped it down to the bear frames. And completely
rebuilt it, removing any corrosion they found (not much) and
re-lubing, gaskets, wiring, etc. Not a lot of shops would have
taken that on - even fewer would have turned the trains around as
quickly and as completely as the Q did.

That is one article waiting to be written - the Q Passenger shops -
and how great the guys working there were (all over the
system). They might call the Q frugal and cheap - but they
consistently put out high quality projects that were as good or
better than anything on the rails. Often from very, very little to work with.

At 03:36 PM 6/22/2007, Stephen J. Levine wrote:
>At least it was not as bad as it was in a wreck in 1947 when the
>train, running as the Twin Cities Zephyr, hit a truck with, I
>believe, a caterpillar on it, derailed, and crashed into a commuter
>station. There apparently was extensive damage to the cars at that time.
>
> sjl
>
>cvlk@comcast.net wrote:
> IIRC it wasn't a collision as such.... the train was
> stopped on a spring switch and reversed direction, jacknifing the
> set at an articulated joint and the damage was caused between units
> with one of the two corners getting the worst of the injury. It
> wasn't the side fluting but rather the end sheets and structure of
> the car... it is rather simple to replace the side fluting as they
> are secured to the framing with screwed clips concealed by snap-in
> cover plates.
>Charlie Vlk

>From: "Rory Murchison" <murchi209@yahoo.com>
>It was accidentally backed into some equipment on a siding. The
>stainless steel fluting was damaged.
>
>--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, "Stephen J. Levine" <sjl@...> wrote:
> >
> > What happened to the Nebraska Zephyr that it is requiring repairs?
> >
> > sjl
> >
> > Aeolus3@... wrote:
> > Sadly the only E-5 that was saved is Silver Pilot out at
>IRM. I understand
> > the Nebraska Zephyr set has been moved to the shop for repairs. Now
>I didn't
> > find out if all the train went but I suppose it's just the cars
>that were
> > damaged. It's going to cost somewhere around $350,000.00 for the
>trip and repair
> > in the "body shop". I hope the NZ is back at Union soon.
> >
> > Other E units have been saved but the one that really troubles me
>is the
> > E-7. Only one is saved. The E-7 had the highest run of all the E
>units. If you
> > think about it the Alco PA did better than the E-7. There are two
>saved!

>Yahoo! Groups Links

Bob Webber