[CBQ] Re:C&S trains 29 and 30 in 1958

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re:C&S trains 29 and 30 in 1958
From: Steve Fuchs <fuchst900@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 07:55:24 -0700 (PDT)
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Richard, I moved to the Campion area (4 miles south of Loveland)  in 1965.  I
was crazy about trains but at 10 years old knew very little about them.  The
fall of 65 had a ritual of sitting by the tracks after school in hopes of
seeing a steam engine which several told me would be seen during sugarbeet
harvest; none ever came. Maybe in Loveland on Great Western Sugar, but not on
the C&S!  There was one passenger train that ran. If recalling the consist
correctly was alway 5 cars; some conbination of 4 mail or baggage cars and a
single silver coach on the end.  This coach seemed to be heavyweight in my mind
due to the having 6 axles. The mail/baggage cars were all green.  It ran south
seemingly around 9 AM and always went north late at night around 11AM.  It flew
compared to other trains. Living close to a crossing I saw many cars lock the
brakes up for it late at night. One Sunday morning I walked the tracks down to
Berthoud Lake (half way between Campion and Berthoud) The
 southbound surprised me and I leaped off the tracks as if flew by!  My boyhood
memory beyond gettting the #### scared out of me was that if had an "F" on it
that day rather than the usual "E". I dont remember seeing it very long after
moving there. maybe a year or two!  Steve, College Place, WA