[CBQ] Newspapers

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Newspapers
From: qutlx1@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 15:06:06 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
I have a couple questions about the newspaper handling procedures on the
dinkies and at CUS.
In rechecking my Burlington Bulletins and Chicago Union Station by Ed
DeRouin I can't find what I'm looking for so here goes:
The papers were loaded in the baggageand then the power cars until they  were
retired and then in the vestibule of a double deck and thrown off at  various
stations(per my past discussions with brakemen). Were the bundles  handled as
baggage via the baggage room at CUS or were they express? Were the  papers
loaded on the mail/baggage side of the loading platforms or into the cars
elsewhere(14th st)?
Anybody have any idea how this was invoiced?

Once enroute how did the trainman/baggagman know how many bundles of each
paper to toss off at which station. Did he work from a list or were the
bundles
marked and #'d for each station(much like the Beacon used to do  with bundles
for the paperboys).

I did work the "baggagemens "job in Bill Lyons place,on the midday
roundtrip,a few times in the 70's but by then all that was handled was company
mail.
In thinking about it the company mail came up from the baggageroom on  a
"truck" and was loaded while were in the station.
And getting back to Pete's "timeslip artist" comment I don't recall any pay
differential for handling baggage????

Leo

Ps: Ed if this is going to be covered in the new book just say so and let  it
go at that.