Re: [CBQ] Accurate Painting & Lettering

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Accurate Painting & Lettering
From: "Rob Manley" <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 17:58:19 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Ron,
Regarding Walthers cars, the painting and lettering can be very accurate but
the car may be wrong. Yes the "Al Hoffman Guide to Proper Freight Cars" is a
good start and some of my finished cars are in there. Do you mean the cars
specifically made by Walthers or any car in the catalog? Do you include
passenger and head end as well as freight?
It's a pretty tall order to define what is accurate, see Al's disclaimer in the
Modelers Guide.

Some members would be happy and consider the Accurail USRA double sheeth and
the Outside brace cars as accurate. I on the other hand would only consider the
Westerfield USRA XM-24 and the Speedwitch XM-25 as suitable models. It all
depends on your level of tolerance and how much work and worry you want to put
into a car. Your best resource is the Mike Spoor book Color Freight cars of the
Burlington Route ( Morning Sun) and whatever high quality B&W photos, slides or
BRHS Bulletins and spec sheets you can pick up at the swap meets. Compare the
model to the prototype, see if you can spot the differences. It depends on how
passionate you are about a specific car. It's a judgement call, sure but this
is a historical society and one of the main goals, is to record and preserve
accurate history. Then build models of it.

There was some discussion lately about the Athearn ACF 2970 2 bay centerflow
car. A great model, nice paint but I believe the dimensional data was wrong. Do
you live with it, call it a "stand-in", weather it down or buy the undec kit
and a set of Microscale decals?

Getting back to the original question, the Walthers baggage car is wrong and so
is the big Pullman High Cube both on account of the doors.

If I knew what specific car you were referring to or what era you model this
would help also.

Sincerely,
Rob Manley