[CBQ] Re: "Silver Streak" horn notes

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: "Silver Streak" horn notes
From: "hdtvnut" <hrgreen@att.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:00:46 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
--- In CBQ@yahoogroups.com, zephyr9900@... wrote:

> I finally got the chance to record the horn from "Silver Streak" and run it
> through a spectral analysis program.  I used the first occurance of the horn,
> when Charles Starett is sitting in the cab with the pilot, since there was no
> background noise.
>
> The fundamental notes are F#5-A#5-D6.  The actual tones are 727, 930 and 1159
> Hz.  There are smaller peaks at 428(A4), 2086(C7), 2180(C#7) and 2313 Hz(D7).
>
> 428 is the beat frequency of 1159-727, 2086 is the beat frequency of 1159+930
> and 2313 is the first harmonic of 1159.  I can't account for 2180, so it
> might
> be a real note.
>
> I still think that the "horn" sounds more like an air-blown whistle than a
> real
> horn, but on our cheap Yamaha keyboard set to Trumpet voice, F#5-A#5-D6 gives
> pretty good representation of the horn.

My findings are in accord, and I used the same scene for sampling the
whistle. Souter, in "Burlinton Zephyrs" p. 32, describes the sound as
"a high-pitched fluting tweet", so unless he also is relying just on
the movie, the sound track is probably authentic. The whistle sounds
very good in my HO Con Cor w/Loksound and a small 16 x 25 mm speaker.
As mentioned, I didn't have much success extracting the bell, so
substituted one very similar.

Am working on the motor sounds now, but this is more difficult.  I
have a good idle and a moderate power up, and am trying to synthesize
some other power levels.  The motor has all sorts of clicks, clacks,
and breathing sounds that make a looped sample of only a second or so
difficult to do so it doesn't sound hokey.

Regards, Hal