Re: [CBQ] Congress Park Station

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Congress Park Station
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:14:48 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
John-
I didn't say they HAD, I said PROJECTED.  The current ROW is the only route
that was built.
There was another railroad that was projected but never built diagonally
through the Brookfield area (before anything was incorporated there)
call the Hamilton, Lacon and Eastern.  It was graded for part of the way around
1872 IIRC and part of the ROW was reused for the Chicago, Millington & Western
narrow gauge which ran along the alignment of 26th Avenue to LaGrange Road and
Salt Creek from Chicago.  Bet you didn't know about that one!!!
There was a CERA Buletin on the West Towns Railway but it is long out of print.
 If you have any specific questions about the West Towns (your
"Toonerville Trolley" I have a xerox copy of the issue that I can refer to and
have some history on the predecesor Chicago & Northern Pacific (yes, the same NP
that ran the North Coast Limited!!!).
Charlie Vlk

An intersting map shows the CH&W projected to swing northeast diagonally
through Brookfield to link up with the Harlem & Riverside (the connection that
runs along Harlem Avenue
between the Chicago, Madison & Northern (IC Iowa Line) up to a former
connection with the Wisconsin Central (Soo Line). That would have changed the
interchange with the Q as it would have fallen somewhere around Maple Avenue or
east of there!!!

The depot was razed sometime in the 1990s.... don't recall what date but I do
have it in my files if you need it.

Charlie Vlk

  Charlie,

  I never knew the belt line had tracks east of the current N/S line of today
(just west of East Ave), where did they run and connect to (what line).
Interested in the area as I lived in Brookfield for about 8 years as a
youngster and am looking for this information and also on the "Toonerville
Trolley" as we kids called it, whose tracks after having come from the north
ran along the north side of the Q. for several blocks ending at La Grange Rd.

  John

  .