Re: [CBQ] wedge plows

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] wedge plows
From: "Chuck Knudson" <cmac.knudson@verizon.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 22:04:58 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Several years ago I did build a CB&Q wedge snow plow.  I did not have plans,
but I did have several photos that I took of two plows in Galesburg about 1985.
 I did show the plow at a BRHS Annual Meeting or spring meet, and I think a
photo was in one of the Zephers.

I basis for my plow was an Atheran 50' flat car.  A company called Train Town
in Oshkosh, WS sold a kit of styrene pieces for the wedge and platform.  They
were from a CNW prototype, but I used those pieces as a guide and cut a
slightly reshaped blade from .020 styrene sheets,  These were then rolled
around a hobby knife handle to make the curved shape, then glued together and
then to the base.  The rest of the model was simply made from styrene and wire.
 The sides were made from styrene sheet with stakes into the flat car pockets.
The "load" was from a gondola which I shortened to fit and covered with course
ballast.  I used some old smaller hand brake wheels for the height adjusting
wheels for the blade.  A decal for the operating instructions lettering is
available in black in MicroScale set 87-1197.  One of the BRHS members (Jerry
Hamsmith?) also had it in white in a set of general car markings decals.  It
may be in a white MicroScale set now too.

Mike Spoor also did a similar model about the same time.  It was a model that
was fun to do.