Re: [CBQ] ICE and its remedies

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] ICE and its remedies
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 15:06:06 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Verlin has got it right.   The name of the "hose"...it was called  THE SQUIRT
HOSE....Subject to correction by those more acquainted with the  exact
details of how it worked, I believe it was connected to one of the  injectors
with
the valve on the backhead of the engine on the fireman's  side...It produced a
mixture of hot water and steam.

It was used for cleaning up the cab floor and keeping the coal dust  down....

It was also handy for a few, somewhat illegal but handy and, on occasion
fun, uses such as repelling errant hoboes and animals....Anybody out there  a
fan
of EMPEROR OF THE NORTH, movie with Ernest Borgnine as THE SHACK.   Remember
him taking the squirt hose and handing it to the fireman and telling
him.."you don't be afraid to use this"  (to repel A No. 1 and Old  Cigarette)
when
they tried to board his train.

I remember a Rock Island locomotive engineer telling me about how they used
to scare off kids standing along the ROW throwing rocks...He said "I'd just
reach down an "get" the blowoff cock a little bit"...that would run em  off.
Blowoff cock not the same as the squirt hose, but produced the same  result in
a different location.

Pete