Re: [CBQ] Hand Signs...what's the significance??

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Hand Signs...what's the significance??
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 10:35:15 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Good Job Leo...you got it.

I'll explain what he wanted me to do and, for an additional prize..equal in
value to the original award tell me the origin of the "scratching the ribs"
sign  which you, Leo, say "has something to do with the waycar...It does,
indeed
 "refer to the waycar"..but what is the significance of the
scratching...Probably  an old old timer would know...let's see how we do.

What the conductor told me in words when I asked him...was..."I wanted you
to drop off, line the switch and ride the waycar"...

As I mentioned earlier I never had the seniority to work the rear end on  any
job I ever held.  I had no particular desire to ride the w/c, since  there
was usually more excitement on the head end...On this particular local  when we
got down to a shorter train, either on the "out" trip when we were  peddling
mtys or on the inbound before we had done much picking up he would  say.."just
come on back and ride the waycar"..which I would do at his  invitation, but
not because I considered it a preferred position.

Pete