[CBQ] Re: Cab Roof Color of CB&Q G-5 & G-5a 0-6-0 Switchers?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Cab Roof Color of CB&Q G-5 & G-5a 0-6-0 Switchers?
From: "bigbearoak" <jonathanharris@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 17:44:44 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill -

The only color photos of Q steam switchers I know are in Holck Vol 1 and Spoor,
V. 1 (only
F-1s only), and these are unhelpful, as I imagine you know. You can barely see
the cab
roofs; some do appear to be different colors from the cab sides & boiler, but
does that
indicate weathered red paint? or just ash? soot? rust? on a black cab roof?

Others may have clearer photos or some definitive information. But you have to
ask
youself, why _wouldn't_ they paint their G-5 cab roofs red? "Red lead" wasn't
applied for
aesthetic reasons, after all, but to protect the roof from corrosion (sulfuric
acid? from soot
and steam deposits) - as much of an issue for a yard as a mainline engine.

That seems to be the guess P2K made for their HO versions of both the G-5 and
the F-1,
anyway. The color they chose looks a lot like what CIL used for their M-2a
brass imports a
few years back, and that color strikes me as awfully close to Floquil's zinc
chromate
primer. This of course represents a brand new, freshly shopped engine. After
awhile, it
would darken by degrees to maroon, then effectively to dull black. For modeling
purposes,
cab roof color probably correlates strongly with the model's overall level of
weathering.
Fortunately, it's easy to darken a newer, more orange cab roof in very
prototypical fashion
by overspraying with grimy black or another dark weathering mixture.

Good luck,
Jonathan