Re: [CBQ] Stop Over Car

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Stop Over Car
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 14:26:05 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
A stop over car was exactly what its name implies.

Let's say that a shipper of canned goods has customers at points
A....B...and C and perhaps D.
None of these customers can use a full carload of his canned goods at one
time and the shipper does not want to pay what would be a higher rate to  ship
individual  shipments either by rail LCL or even by the dreaded  truckers.

There were tariff provisions which would permit a shipper of canned goods,
lumber or whatever commodity to bill a carload of his product to consignee at
Point D...with "stops to part unload" at Points A, B and C.
The shipper would get the advantage of the carload rate from his plant to
the furthest away destination with some kind of a "flat charge" for each stop
over (or stop off).

One of the greatest problems for the railroads, aside from the car being
tied up for a day or two at each stop over point and additional switching by
the
local crew was that of the failure of the stop off consignees to properly
block and brace the remainder of the contents  in the car.  The stop  off
consignees were supposed to "break down the load or otherwise stabilize it
before
OK'ing the load to move...

Often, of course, the breaking down or stabilization didn't happen..The
agent at the stop off points was supposed to inspect the car before OK'ing it's

move but this didn't always happen.

As Manager of Freight Claims for the Rock Island for  8 years I  witnessed
the sad (and expensive) results of failure to secure the lading after  a stop
off.

I referred to the matter of "Storage in Transit or Milling in  Transit"...I'm
not going to discuss this matter now unless someone specifically  requests
it...It's a bit lengthy and isn't real "sexy" like Karl's and Leo's  tales, but
If someone is curious I'll talk about it.

Pete