Re: [CBQ] Runaway and related trivia

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Runaway and related trivia
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 10:57:25 EST
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Archie et

T hose small concave indentations were called "poling pockets"  IIRC  and
they were also on diesels..SD's and GP's at least through the  1950's...

Seems like not many years ago TRAINS had a little piece, complete with
pictures, of the whys and wherefores of poling.  The poles carried on steam
engines had metal end caps to avoid..or at least minimize splintering..

Speaking of drops...getting frogged etc....I remember one time during my
short "on the ground" career on the Q working a local and we had shoved or
dropped some cars into an elevator track or some such.  They were barely in
the
clear and was the usual practice then one guy stood straddling the main  track
rail at the furthest projecting point of the cars on the elevator  track and
raised his arm to check the clearance...It being assumed that if  he couldn't
touch the car from that position that it was in the clear.

In this case it was close but appeared to be OK...To be on the safe side  the
"checker" gave the engineer an "easy" sign and kept a close eye as the
movement slowly passed the barely in the clear car....

An old head brakeman was standing near me as the move was made  and
commented..."That wouldn't have went by there fast"

Just another little "memory flash" brought out by someone else's  story.

Pete