[CBQ] Story About Montgomery Interlocking Tower

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Story About Montgomery Interlocking Tower
From: "Dave Fiore Sr." <davidfioresr@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:30:41 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
While researching information about CB&Q facilities at Montgomery,
Illinois I came across the following article. It was published on page
12 of the February 20, 1947 issue of the Chicago Daily Tribune
newspaper, and it may be of interest to members of the group!

Dave Fiore Sr.

THINGS HAPPEN TO MORT WHEN HE'S LICKERED

He Can't recall What, but Cost Is $200

Morton Lawson, 46, a factory worker, listened with polite surprise
yesterday while several persons described for Justice Albert Zettinger
in Aurora his actions Tuesday night both before and after he was put off
a Burlington passenger train at Montgomery, five miles south of Aurora.

Lawson, whose home is in Plano, Kendall county, heard:

That shortly after boarding the train at Aurora he had begun wandering
up and down the aisles, making remarks which the other passengers
resented but overlooked because Lawson is more than 6 feet tall and
built in proportion.

That the train stopped at Montgomery, and after the crew had persuaded
Lawson to get off, went on without him.

That he then wandered over to the near-by signal tower, where he pounded
on the door until W. Stickell, a tower man serving his first night, let
him in. Stickell said he was afraid Lawson would freeze.

That he then began wandering happily around the tower, trying to
persuade Stickell to let him pull a few levers and throw some switches,
and when Stickell refused, began to sulk and tear up railroad records.

That when Stickell tried to phone C. G. Piggott, a special agent, living
in Montgomery, he ripped the phone off the wall.

That Stickell then got Piggott on another phone, apparently kept in
reserve for just such an emergency, and after Piggott arrived and
couldn't handle him alone, Stickell summoned deputies from Geneva
while Piggott was distracting his attention.

That the deputies, Robert Rees and Walter Honert, made the 10 mile trip
in 12 minutes and, with Piggott's aid, finally hauled Lawson away,
leaving Stickell with an extremely untidy looking tower.

Lawson listened. He sighed. He said he guessed probably he would plead
guilty, adding:

"I get notions when I get lickered up. I don't remember a
thing."

He paid a fine of $200 and costs.

Next time, Stickell said, NOBODY gets into his tower; no matter how cold
it is.