[CBQ] re: Fox River Butter

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] re: Fox River Butter
From: "Gerald A. Edgar" <vje68@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 17:51:12 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
The list I posted is for cars under Burlington (National Car) control.
There were many industries on the Q that used reefers (& other rolling
stock) via lease from 3rd parties or outright owned but they were not
using Burlington controlled equipment.  Two that come to mind are
Dubuque Star & Potosi breweries in the respective towns.  Both were
served by the Q (Dbq is being restored for operation but spur was
severed just 3 yrs ago due to development along the Mississippi &
Potosi is being rebuilt by the city and still sits a few blocks from
the Twin Cities main).  Each had reefers for their beer but used URTX
leased equipment.  I've seen pics of Potosi's but never Dubuque's.  A
side note; LaCrosse Brewery (on my National car list) that
brewed "Peerless" beer sold that brand name to Potosi after their
closing.  "Peerless" cars were made in H.O. by Binkley (one of my 1st
kits as a kid) and of course Heileman's has been made by Train
Miniature & others although they also used URTX equipment as I recall.
Then & now, a shipper desiring to lease equipment is going to look at
price, quality of the equipment and service available for repairs when
picking a supplier.  National won some battles & lost others which is
just as true today with other freight car builders and leasing firms.