[CBQ] More on Q Pool Diesels

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] More on Q Pool Diesels
From: "Tom Mack" <thommack@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 17:52:35 -0000
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Although not technically "pool" power, for those of you who would like
to model some really nice and very unusual diesels on your Q layout in
the 1962/1963 era, here are some things I ran across in Jim Sandrin's
D&RGW in Color Vol. 3:

1. If you want to run some Gold and Silver DR&GW FT's on a Q freight
to Chicago, go ahead! On pages 64 and 65 there are two pictures of a
FTA-FTB-SD24-SD24-FTB-FTA-FTA lashup on CB&Q train 64 from Denver to
Chicago (all FT's are D&RGW, the SD24's are Q, in red of course). The
FTA's were being traded in to EMD, but the Q was using them as power
on the train nonetheless. The lead unit is 5491, and although the
other unit numbers are not listed in the book, according to Withers FT
book the other FT's traded in on the same date (2/23/62) are: 5494
FTA, 5493 FTB, 5492 FTB (this would make up the FT A-B-B-A set 5491,
92, 93, 94). The book lists FTA 5404 as being traded in on 2/28/62 so
it may be the 5th unit in the set.

2. This next one is maybe the most interesting, and if others
(especiall Hol Wagner) can provide some additional info I would like
to hear it. On page 70 of the D&RGW book is a shot of D&RGW
Krauss-Maffei locomotives 4002 and 4003 shot in Denver (by Hol Wagner)
getting ready to head east on CB&Q Train 66 to Chicago. The K-M's were
heading for three weeks of testing on the NYC. The date is February 8,
1963. There is another picture on page 4, a nose shot, of K-M 4002 at
Cicero in February 1963 that is part of Jim Sandrin's collection
(photographer not listed). This confirms pictures of the K-M's in
February 1963 on both sides of the Q line, Denver and Chicago. The big
question I have is where these locomotives ended up in the train. Were
they on the head end? Did they perhaps lead, or at least contribute to
train power (according to the caption on page 70 "they will take train
No.66 to Chicago")? If Hol or anyone else can tell us about the K-M
trip east (or back west), and perhaps when the K-M's came back to
Denver, i would love to hear about it. Who says Q modelers can't
prototypically model the most unusual road diesels? Almost makes we
wish I was modeling 1962/63!

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH