[CBQ] Midnight Zephyr

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Midnight Zephyr
From: "teb2771@earthlink.net" <teb2771@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 20:43:38 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
This might be a bit off-the-wall, but something possibly worth passing on at
this time of year.
    Today I was at the factory and outlet store of XMI Corporation in Chippewa
Falls, WI (715-723-1999). XMI makes very high quality ties and shirts; the
outlet has numerous photos of Bryant Gumbel, Letterman, etc., wearing their
ties on the air, and they tell stories of people seeing their ties on ESPN and
coming in to find one. Pricey.
    Anyhow, I asked if they had anything railroad related, and the outlet lady
said they had one, 'Midnight Zephyr'. Naturally, I had to see it. The tie had
two shades of the same color (ie. maroon/red) separated by the stylized drawing
of a streamlined steam passenger train (more like the Twentieth Century than
Zephyr, but maybe Aeolus?), with the words "New York-Los Angeles" in small
letters beneath (dumb). The bottom has a repeated pattern of the words
'Midnight Zephyr 2000", the word Zephyr being in believable script. I believe
the 2000 relates to the year produced. The colors were mostly unbelievably
gaudy - maroon/red (best), lavender/lilab, and yellow/salmon. Not being into
the bright colors, I opted for the red/maroon - flashy, but acceptable. The
price - $6.00 - probably originally 5-6 times that. They only had about  10
left.
    I have no financial interest in this - just thought if you couldn't pass up
the word Zephyr and liked flashy ties, it would be worth a call to the XMI
outlet. Wouldn't it be nice if the manufacturers consulted railfans before
concocting something so inaccurate?

Tom Burg