[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Commuter Questions And Shore Line HS Publications

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Commuter Questions And Shore Line HS Publications
From: Ed DeRouin <Ed@pixelspublishing.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:34:40 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Listers:

I have not surfaced on the list in this thread because I contacted
Andy directly. In our conversation, Andy indicated that he was
satisfied with and appreciated the information Bill and Charlie
provided, and so did not need the two Passenger Train Journal issues
(Dec 1988 and Jan 1989) with and article by yours truly that covered
the Q's suburban service from the end of World War II to the end of
the E unit era. I believe that the Dec 1988 issue is out-of-print and
am unsure of the status of the Jan 1989 issue.

That said. please allow me to make some comments to reinforce several
notions.

1.) Locomotive steam generators heated all suburban service rolling
stock until the galley cars were rebuilt (1972-1973).

2.) The power cars provided electrical power for lights and fans,
just as Charlie stated. On trains of less-than-two cars, the
auxiliary generator in the E unit provided energy for lighting the
cars. I interviewed the night shift Aurora Roundhouse foreman (Julius
Wozak, now dec.) who worked closely with 14th Street to coordinate E
unit assignment in depth (from this interview, I constructed a table
which appeared in the article). Any E8 or E9 could be assigned to the
two car or less  weekend trains. Two ( 9977 and 9939A), maybe more,
E8s had steam generators removed and and head-end power (diesel and
electrical generator) installed  to power push-pull  consists in the
1967-1969 (?) period. Recall that the control cars were not delivered
until 1965 and were not sufficient in number to convert the operation
ala CNW. For the sake of this conversation, the E5s and E7s were not
preferred in suburban service for a couple of reasons: 1.) the 2250
and 2400 hp of the E8 and E9 was preferred for schedule keeping on
the dinkies and, (2) the lack of speed recorders on the E5s and first
order of  E7s were preferred on certain mainline trains for the same
reason- timekeeping.

3.) The gallery cars, power cars, and 1949 rebuilds were air
conditioned by propane powered Waukesha ice systems.

Andy's comments about  the special publication by the Shore Line
Historical Society is one of two soon to come pieces top be published
by Shore Line. The 16 page issue explores how we came to work in the
fifties by street car, interurban, and suburban train. In the Spring
2007 issue of First & Fastest, Shore Line's quarterly publication, an
abridged version of my PTJ piece will appear. All the photos, save
one, are from the 1950-1952 period.

For information, I suggest that you see the Shore Line web site.

I hope this helps.

Ed DeRouin