[CBQ] Re: CB&Q Commuter Questions

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: CB&Q Commuter Questions
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:55:34 -0600
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Charlie,

That's what I recall also, but I wasn't sure of the details, so I
didn't comment of the air conditioning. I believe that Bob Campbell
knows the details of that portion of the system on the gallery cars.
Maybe he will comment on the details. The engine/generator system on
the power cars did not put out a tremendous amount of power. So,
lighting and mechanical equipment on nine cars was about all one
power car could operate. I am not sure whether the cars were 30 volt
or 74 volt DC. My guess is 30 v. since that is what the railroads
used in steam days and they simply continued with it. Since the E
units also worked main line trains, any decisions concerning the
suburban equipment had to be compatible. All the main line trains
were still steam heated and had various kinds of air conditioning or
none at all. I believe that most if not all of Q's E units had two
steam generators.

There were some E units that were set up to power the train
electrical load on weekend trains. They could power only two gallery
cars without the separate power car. I remember seeing such trains
occasionally. I believe that the E units supplied the power from the
auxiliary generator. On freight units in those days, the aux. gen.
would have had an output of 10 kw at 74 volts DC. On most steam
generator equipped locomotives, a larger auxiliary generator was
applied, rated at 18 kw. EMD also had a 24 kw machine and that may
have been what was applied to the specially equipped E's. (The
auxiliary generator's primary function on a diesel locomotive is to
provide low voltage power for lighting, switch gear, battery charging
and excitation of the main generator and companion alternator). When,
other demands are placed on the aux. generator, a larger one is often
needed.

Bill Barber