[CBQ] Re: Review of 3RD Rail's O-Scale CB&Q Hudson 4-6-4

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Review of 3RD Rail's O-Scale CB&Q Hudson 4-6-4
From: clipperw@EarthLink.net
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:54:41 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Bill,

I just received my 3rd Rail 2 rail model of #3007. I also have a
Precision Scale Models model of #4003 from a couple of years ago.
Both are fine models. While I wouldn't trade my Precision locomotive
for the world, for a third the price, the Sunset 3rd Rail model is
OUTSTANDING! It runs very smoothly, is a well proportioned
representative of the prototype, has all of the major details and
many of the lesser ones and will look just fine at the head end  of
any passenger train. Some of the fine details, found on the prototype
and the Precision locomotive are not included, (for instances, there
are no steam and air connections at the back of the tender), but
these could be easily added as desired. (I will probably add a few
details.) The model looks fine the way it is, and for those that
might want more, it presents a great starting point for a reasonable
price in this day and age. My congratulations to Scott Mann and his
crew at Sunset.

  Their upcoming M4 2-10-4 ought to be equally as good and he has
announced both a three window and a four window version of the Q's
wood cabooses. In their Golden Gate Depot line, they have announced a
package of four O scale ABS plastic coaches lettered for the Q 6100
series. They do note that they are not exact replicas, but are close.
They are providing 12 different numbers and, of course, with a little
work, one could also have a 4500 series coach or any of the several
rebuilds that Q made out of 4500/6100 series cars. (How about a
suburban power car?). They also provide the same car model in several
other road names (foreign cars?) and painted, but unlettered. BTW,
the coaches include interior and people! The four car passenger set
is priced around $450. Take a look at the Golden Gate website:
www.goldengatedepot.com.

One last item of interest for O scalers (either 2 rail or 3 rail).
Golden Gate has announces a model of the very common Olge 100 ton
coal tower, found in many places on the Q. It takes only a 6" x 9"
spot and stands 22" tall. It should be available by early next year
at about $170 fully assembled.

Now, if someone would just offer an O-1a!

BTW, I have no relation to Sunset 3rd Rail except as a customer. I am
just happy to see Q O scale stuff being made available.

Bill Barber