Re: [CBQ] Power Braking.

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Power Braking.
From: Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 17:24:05 EDT
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Thanks Karl.......that's a good start.

Now tell us about the graduated release versus direct release...Seems like
there is a, for lack of a better word, "cap" on the triple valve under a
passenger car or head end car which can be removed and rotated to a different
position which, if I recall correctly provides for a direct release or
graduated
release????????  Is this so??  Seems like when passenger equipment was  to be
operated in freight service this manipulation of the cap was required to  make
the system totally compatible.

Also, in connection with the above matter, seems like I had always heard
that a skilled engineer could, by proper manipulation of the automatic air
arrange for the brakes to release just as the train came to a stop thus
eliminating, or at least minimizing the "rock back" of the trucks against the
truck
springs which would be compressed toward the forward end of the train due  to
the
momentum of the weight of the car body vs the trucks where the braking
effort is being applied.

Tell us something about this if it isn't just something a late and too  large
supper produced in my nightmarish dreams.

Pete