Re: [CBQ] Build date month for XM-32c boxcars

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Build date month for XM-32c boxcars
From: "Rupert and Maureen" <gamlenz@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 16:23:56 +1200
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mark

According to Bulletin #7 page 12, the first XM-32C's (which included 250
each for C&S and FW&D) left Havelock in December 1950.  However, the 1
February 1951 ORER shows only 1398 cars in the group 17000-19399 (presumed
to be the XM-32B's), suggesting that the first XM-32C cars built were
allocated to the subsidiaries. The  1 May 1951 ORER showed the same quantity
in the number series so there was apparently no change in the situation, but
by October 1951 there were 2393 cars in this number series. So the build
date for your cars would appear to be between the beginning May and the end
of September.

On a pro-rata basis of 1000 cars added in the five months of May to
September, the 300 XM-32C's you are interested in would have been built in
May and the first half of June. (As an alternative calculation, if the 500
C&S / FW&D cars were started in December, they would have taken until about
March/April to complete.)

The only other CB&Q cars I can find that were built in this five month
period were 100 HT-10A triple hoppers.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ