Re: [CBQ] F-unit Black birds?

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] F-unit Black birds?
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 15:00:08 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Hallmark's N Scale FTs came in a Dark Gray paint that was a couple of shades
darker than a West Point uniform..... "Cadet Gray".....
probably because somebody provided a "dip sample" drift card.  I had the same
thing happen to me.... I had a paint sample taken right
from a 55 gallon drum of F Unit "Immitation Aluminum" paint at Clyde Diesel
Shop.  The custom painter followed the shade on the card
and I ended up with VERY dark gray F units.   The real paint, applied under
pressure, oxidized (it was an Aluminum Oxide based pigment)
and turned almost refrigerator white when sprayed.  Also, the impact of being
applied to a full-sized unit invoked the "color has scale" issue.
The models, held up to a real unit painted with the same paint, would still
look dark even in bright sunlight.
AFAIK there were never any plans for the Q to paint F Units in anything but the
scheme introduced by FT #100..... Athearn's Red and Gray
F7s notwithstanding..... at least I've never heard of any official proposed
alternate paint schemes as by the time the GP20s (the first red/gray
units) the F units were already being retired.
Anybody know of any such proposals by the railroad??
Charlie Vlk

http://us.click.yahoo.com/_7bhrC/NGxNAA/yQLSAA/8ZCslB/TM