Re: [CBQ] Re: Looking for color info

To: <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Looking for color info
From: <robev1630@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:48:33 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Mike,
IF you are replying to me it is ROB. As in Rock Island Or Burlington.

Future can be sprayed from your airbrush directly from the bottle full strength
or cut with Isopropyl Alcohol. I like to use a #1 tip on my Paasche H series @
35 psi with a pressure regulator and a moisture trap on the supplu line. It
yields a High Gloss that is Optically clear and never yellows. If you mess it
up, hose it down with Windex or Sparkle, wash with Dawn, blow dry and start
over.

 What else would I use on a brass prewar Twin Cities Zephyr, SSS cars, NE-10s,
Silver Pendulum, my 2 head end cars in RMJ or my 1st place covered hopper?
Military modelers have been using this for some 20 years to clearcoat thier
models before decaling. This includes aircraft with Metalizer finish. Believe
me most model railroaders could learn a few lessons from these craftsmen.
Automobile modelers use it as a gloss coat and to attach the etched stainless
logos and scripts to thier fenders. It is also the only way to rescue a
scratched or glue fogged canopy.

NO reports of yellowing like Dullcoat or glosscoat from other manufacturers. No
fumes, water washable and it's cheap. A bottle is 27 fluid ounces for $5 (
Streator's Kroger) vs Micro Scale Gloss 1oz. for $2.50 and MS is a milky
colored solution. I have searched some of the finest art stores in Chicago &
Galesburg to find a better, clearer un-colored  gloss coat and found nothing.

What I did find was a small funnel with a fine strainer that is perfect for
straining out solid clumps and dried paint ( coating) from the sides of the
bottle. That's the #1 culprit in dissatisfaction with acrylics. #2 is not
thinning the paint to the proper viscosity. Some colors run thicker than others
and you'll have to adjust as needed. You'll also have to keep your tip cleaner
more often but i feel the advantages outweight the disadvantages.

If you missed my clinic In Streator this year, I covered my use of Future and
waterbased paints.

Sincerely,
Rob Manley
Midwest Mod-U-Trak
 Listen to the "Shadow" sponsored by your Blue Coal Dealer !
"When building kits is a lost art,
Only lost artists will be building kits !!"