[CBQ] Heavyweights - 60 footers

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Heavyweights - 60 footers
From: Bob Webber <no17@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 21:51:18 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
My apologies, as I am traveling - and still..er.. digesting.

Tom is well aware of other 60' cars - he has many on his list of cars
to do - if you have received his brochure on the cars to be done (the
one that includes a BA-15) then you have seen some of the cars
involved.  But, as I say, he is less than enthused with the Trainline
core for these projects due to the ends, roof and underframe not
being correct for the cars involved.  While they can make a fast car,
and a good looking car, they don't make as accurate car as he'd like
- your mileage may vary.

My thoughts originally were exactly as yours were, and in fact I have
stockpiled quite a few of the 60' cars for several projects.   The
problem is, as I have gone through them with Tom, he has explained
exactly why they wouldn't make a suitable core for that specific car
or this specific car.   An education I apparently needed!

He and I have been discussing these and other cars (such as the
CLOVER cars in another message, due to my desire to be able to
assemble an Exposition Flyer - and my thought is that by being able
to do so, there would be a larger market.   As we explored the CLOVER
cars, no suitable core presented itself, most notably due to the
roof.  There simply is no pedimented - or rounded - roof core that is
both the correct length and width (of the roof AND clerestory) to
start creating the cars.

As I mentioned before, the Branchline line of passenger cars were
designed as they are specifically for the after market
manufacturers.   That's why the core is built as it is, the sides
attach as they do, the underbody is constructed as it is,
etc.   There are, I understand, at least 5 car sides being built now
for this application.  And, supposedly, at least one roof.   But
until that one piece makes its appearance we're stuck.

Now, it should be noted other HS have sponsored HW cars.  For
instance, the Soo Line folks have a baggage and RPO car (2 of each)
that they use the Riv (older Riv) cores for,   Others use the old Riv
12-1 which is neither fish (2410) or fowl (3410).

I am in no way criticizing the mode here (of using the Trainline 60'
cars) - I'm simply relaying what I have found out from Tom and why he
went to a full kit as opposed to simply sides to use for that (and
other) car.   The Trainline RPO is similar to the Q RPO (the most
telling points of departure are the dual rivet lines) but paint one
up, and it LOOKS fine.  Same with the older Riv RPO for that
matter.   It just depends on what you want.
Bob Webber

Message 3