[CBQ] Re: [HOsteam] Test shot of the MDC American]

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Re: [HOsteam] Test shot of the MDC American]
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 12:08:13 -0800
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

>   http://www.athearn.com/Newsletter/032106/Rnd_440_pre_prod.jpg
>
>Looks nice, (well, box headlight at front and what appears to be a round
>one on the tender) but the brass tires on the drivers are an area of
>concern tho?

I suspect that the brass wheels were simply a model-prototype
application. However, model 4-4-0s notoriously have almost no
traction  (all the weight has to be over the drivers, the space of
which is already occupied by the motor). In this regard, I would
*hope* that the driver tires are brass, inasmuch as the factor of
adhesion of brass on nickel silver (rail) is considerably higher than
either nickel on nickel silver, or nickel silver on nickel silver.
It is always a great relief when the plating finally wears off the
locomotive drivers, because that moment is when the locomotive can at
last begin to actually do some work.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD